Friday, May 21, 2010

Q&A with BRIAN HIGBEE, PHOTOGRAPHER












Brian Higbee is a Photographer from Rhode Island, with his cool sexy shots, we thought everyone should meet him. Here is a Q&A with him including a request from the SOMW Facebook Fanpage to get a Photographer's perspective of what to expect from a model. 



When did you move out to LA?
I moved out here in August 08 after putting graphic design aside for a sole career in photography. I put everything in storage back home and drove out here with my camera, laptop and clothes. It was the best decision I've ever made. 



How do you work when photographing and directing models? What do you expect of them?
A good connection between the model and photographer is key. I like to start off with a concept for the model to follow. From there I let everything happen organically and not over direct. Being a good model is knowing your body and what works best with the concept given... and bringin' it!


What agencies do you work with? 

I work mainly with Ford and LA Models at the moment. We have a great working relationship. They're always very helpful and of course have some amazing girls that are motivated to work.

Studio or location?
I tend to choose location over studio. I love mixing sunlight / strobe and I would rather be outside doing my job!



What inspires your imagery?
I'm inspired by everything around me and also draw a lot of ideas from my past. I grew up skateboarding, bmx racing and snowboarding. Most of the music I listened to growing up was NYC and Boston hardcore. That outlet allowed me a lot of creative freedom to do what I wanted. I come from an 11 year career in graphic design along with photography so I'm a very visual person. 


Tell us about any of the photos you're sending me.
Well I like finding cool locations that fit perfectly with the concept of the shoot. I'm a very laid back guy so the behind the scenes are easy going. I like working with a team that you'd hang with outside of work. It makes for a creative and productive shoot.



Check out his site for more work. 
http://www.brianhigbee.com/