Thursday, April 8, 2010

Beginnings-A Journal Entry


by Kate Maloney


I have never really been into politics. That word just feels a bit like vomit coming up whenever its spoken. Im not talking just talking about Congress or the President or Democrats vs Republicans. I dont care about that stuff either. What i am talking about are the "Politics" we run into on a daily basis. The who you knows, the what you knows and the how far you're willing to goes. There should really be a manual to this industry. I have thought of some appropriate names "How To Keep Your Dignity" or "The Who's Who of Who Gives a F*&#%" and the last one, my personal favorite "Yes. Healthy Means Fat"
Do I sound bitter? Well thats because I am. Just a little though. The truth about me is I love modeling but didn't choose it as a career path. I never saw myself as a model, even though I'm a "healthy" 5'9''. I am not signed to a huge agency. I have found my home with Peak Models. The agents and bookers there are some of the nicest I have met to date.

My experience with other Agencies has been objective, subjective, collective and frustrative. Ok, the last one I know isn't an actual word but i thought it fit nicely with all the "ives". So picture this I go to meet with agency "A" the agent stares down her nose as she flips through my book as though it was a flip book of a stick figure jumping rope. She hands it back and tells me Im not edgy enough, but too commercial, and maybe I should consider losing just 5 pounds. Alright lady eff you. So I go to agency "B" go through the same process this time that agent tells me I have a very edgy unique look but they aren't looking for anything like that. Ok folks these are the same photos! My head just hurts by this point and don't have the mental capacity to continue on. I don't fit into any boxes, but I don't want to fit into a box. I would rather remain a chameleon, a blank canvas, versatile and interesting. So its ok Big Time modeling agencies, I don't want to be in your box, and I don't want to lose 5 pounds. I like my ass the size it is. Im very happy being a 5'9'' "healthy" model.